THE BOARD CF
Not to be taken from the Library
SAN FRANCISCO PUBLIC LIBRARY
DEp ^T;.;- lV -
3 1223 03373 2018
FEB 18 1369
Digitized by the Internet Archive
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
OF SAN FRANCISCO
PRESIDENT OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
January 8, 1948
PUBLIC LI -^
3 1223 03373 2018
CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
ELMER E. ROBINSON
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
WAR MEMORIAL OF SAN FRANCISCO
Daniel S. Hewitt, President
D. Lyle Ghirardelli, Vice President
Sidney M. Ehrman
Frank A Flynn*
Wilbur A. Henderson
Milton W. Kletter***
Charles B. Kleupfer
Guido J. Musto
Richard H. Newhall
Ralph J. A. Stern
*Confirmcd January 6, 1947 vice himself
**Confirmed January 6, 1947 vice Alvin Gerlack
***Confirmed January 6, 1947 vice Walter Leonetti
WAR MEMORIAL STAFF
Edward J. Sharkey, Managing Director
E. Lawrence George, Secretary to the Board
San Francisco, California
January 8, 1948
To the Honorable Elmer E. Robinson
Mayor City and County of San Francisco
and to the Board of Trustees of the
War Memorial of San Francisco
The following is my report as President of the Board of
Trustees of the War Memorial of San Francisco for the year
I consider it an honor to have been privileged to serve
as President of this Board and it has given me a great deal
of pleasure to have been of service to our beloved City of
San Francisco in helping in this way to carry on the purposes
of the War Memorial, which are, to honor the memory of
the soldiers, sailors, marines, and others who brought im-
perishable glory to San Francisco by their splendid contribu-
tions to the winning of the wars of our Country, and to give
to the citizens of San Francisco a place for the enjoyment of
the arts, music, and opera.
The War Memorial of San Francisco consists of two
buildings, the Veterans' Building, and the Opera House, and
was first conceived in 1918 by several groups of patriotic
citizens who collected by public subscription, the sum of two
and one half millions of dollars, which sum was subsequently
increased to six and one half millions of dollars by money
derived from bond issues. The fund was then placed in a
trust to be managed by the Board of Trustees of the War
Memorial of San Francisco which consists of eleven members
appointed by the Mayor, subject to confirmation by the
Board of Supervisors, for terms of six years.
The Deed of Trust names the following organizations
as direct beneficiaries, the San Francisco Posts of the Ameri-
can Legion, the San Francisco Art Association, and the Mu-
sical Association of San Francisco. There are certain require-
ments and limitations in the Trust that is the duty of the
Board of Trustees to carry out.
The Executive Staff of the Board of Trustees consists of
Mr. Edward Sharkey, Managing Director; Mr. E. Lawrence
George, Secretary, and one clerk. Mr. Sharkey has made
himself invaluable by becoming familiar with the operations
of these buildings and with similar buildings in other cities.
Mr. George has been Secretary of the Board for about eight-
een months and carries on his work in an excellent manner,
also assisting the Managing Director at various times. The
position of Managing Director is a very trying one, it is a
position carrying a tremendous responsibility, a large amount
of Public Relations work and due to the bookings at night,
Sundays and on holidays entails long hours. The Managing
Director is not only responsible for the maintenance of the
buildings, but is also charged with the makings of Opera
House bookings, he has the responsibility of assuring the
highest type of musical presentations and other type of pro-
grams, and is charged with the proper operations of the
Opera House during these programs. He has proved invalu-
able to the Board cf Trustees, and carries out his various
tasks in a most capable and efficient manner, the War Mem-
orial and the City of San Francisco are fortunate in having
Mr. Sharkey as Director. The clerk has only recently been
appointed and it is hoped that she remain in the office as
she appears very capable and is doing her work in a satis-
factory manner. Due to the increased office work a second
clerk is urgently needed.
The Veterans' Building, and the Opera House were used
by the United Nations Conference on International Organi-
zation during the period of April 25, 1945 to June 26, 1945,
and in commemoration of this historical event the United
States Department of State presented to the City and County
of San Francisco two bronze plaques which were placed in
the respective buildings and unveiled on December 30, 1947,
in the presence of many of the consular representatives of the
fifty Nations participating in the conference, and other dis-
tinguished citizens and dignitaries.
Because of the creation of so many new veteran organi-
zations and posts resulting from World War II, the Veterans'
Building is very much overcrowded and many posts and
patriotic organizations are meeting in rented quarters. Ap-
proximately three hundred veteran and patriotic organiza-
tions regularly meet in this building. They include Posts of
the American Legion, and Auxiliary; Daughters of the Amer-
ican Revolution; The United Spanish War Veterans, and
Auxiliary; The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United
States, and Auxiliary; The Military Order of the Purple
Heart, and Auxiliary; The Disabled American Veterans; The
Gold Star Mothers; The Sons of the American Legion; The
Sons of Spanish American War Veterans; Daughters of '98,
and many others. The number of people using the Veterans'
Building during the past year has been estimated at over
seven hundred thousand.
A great many suggestions have been heard that a move-
ment be started for the erection of an addition to the Veterans'
Building along the same architectural lines as the present
building, on land to be acquired by the City, on the west
side of Franklin Street, between Grove and McAllister Streets.
This building could be so designed that it could be utilized
by the Veterans and other patriotic groups, as well as other
City offices and Courts.
The first three floors of the Veterans' Building are oc-
cupied and used exclusively by the Veterans and other pa-
triotic organizations. On the first floor is located the auditor-
ium, with a seating capacity of approximately eleven hundred,
which in addition to its use by Veterans, is at times avail-
able for rent to other organizations for dances, shews, etc.
Also on the first floor are located the headquarters and offices
of the various veteran organizations, and the administrative
office of the Board of Trustees. With the exception of the
club rooms, and the beautiful Green Room, utilized as a li-
brary, and writing room, on the second floor, the second and
third floors are given over to meeting halls.
SAN FRANCISCO MUSEUM OF ART
The fourth floor of the Veterans' Building is entirely used
by the San Francisco Museum of Art for the display and
exhibition of fine paintings, statuary, and other objects of art,
and for the maintenance of an Art Gallery and Museum of
Many exhibitions were held during the year and the
efforts of the San Francisco Museum of Art were greatly
appreciated by the general public as evidenced by the thou-
sands of people who visited the Museum.
There has been appropriated by the Board of Super-
visors, the sum of $132,000.00 for the purpose of renovating
and making various additions and structual changes in the
Art Museum section of the building which will increase the
The people of San Francisco are more and more realizing
that we have the most magnificent and beautiful opera house
in the United States and that it has become the center of
musical activities of the Pacific Coast, if not of the Nation,
where can be seen and heard practically all of the leacfcng
artists of the World. The bookings have increased from thirty
in 1933 to two hundred and forty-six in 1947. The revenues
have increased during the same period from $24,846.75 to
$113,902.48 as shown elsewhere in this report.
This is due primarily to the care exercised in the selection
of bookings, and to the good work of the San Francisco Opera
Association, Gaetano Merola, General Director, which has
just completed twenty five years of opera in San Francisco,
and the Musical Association of San Francisco, Lenora Wood
Armsby, President and Managing Director, which gives us
those wonderful symphony concerts by the San Francisco
Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Monteux, Conductor.
The opera house bookings during the past year, which
were an increase over prior year, included: Grand Opera
Performances; Symphony Concerts; Concerts; Ballet Perfor-
mances; San Carlo Opera Company Performances; Miscel-
Recovering of all awnings on War Memorial Opera
House and Veterans' Building.
Repair of fire system water tanks.
Cleaning of all gild ornamentation, ceiling and walls of
Opera House Theatre and Foyer.
Installation of signs above entrance of offices on first
floor of Veterans' Building.
Alterations in room 104 and 106 of Veterans' Building.
Installation of fluorescent lights in various rooms of the
Alterations to entrance between kitchen and room 1 in
basement of Veterans' Building.
Alterations to San Francisco Museum of Art, fourth floor,
Cleaning and repairing of drapes in various sections of
the Opera House.
Repair various sections of roof of Opera House.
Repair of miscellaneous furniture in Opera House and
Following is a table of receipts from 1932 to 1917. and
a statement of cash receipts and disbursements for the Fiscal
year 1946-1947. Also a list of securities held in the Panama-
Pacific International Exposition Fellow ship Trust Fund for a
scholarship or aid of a student in the University of California.
DAN S. HEWITT
STATEMENT OF CASH RECEIPTS AND DISBURSEMENTS
FISCAL YEAR 1946-47
Opera Veterans' Art
Revenues: Total House Building Museum
Basic Rentals $ 92,911.39 $ 92,911.39
Percent, Above Basic 9,640.92 9.640.92
Rehearsals 50.00 50.00
Office Rentals 2.400.00 2,400.00
Concessions 3,481.20 3,481.20
Vending Machines . 70.49 40.58 $ 29.91
Service Charges .... 4,955.00 4,955.00
Fixed Charges 100.00 $ 100.00
Miscellaneous 293.48 293.48
Total Revenues . . .
Heat, Light & Power
Materials & Supplies
Pub. Lia. Ins. Prem.
Services, other depts.
Res. Fund Expend. .
Scavenger Services .
Aux. Fire Alarm Ser.
PANAMA - PACIFIC INTERNATIONAL ENPOSITION
MEMORIAL FELLOWSHIP TRUST BOND HOLDINGS
Bond No. Name on Bonds Int. Rate
1772 So. Pacific - S. F. Terminal. 4 f f
2278 So. Pacific- S. F. Terminal. 4 f r
7305 City of New York 3 : 2 f c
1 1 1 City of New York ■ _ ' ,
80701 Central Pacific Rwy. Co.. . 4 ( r
7407 No. Indiana Pub. Serv. Co. 3 : * %
7408 No. Indiana Pub. Sen-. Co. 3-^r
L-M3209 Pacific Gas & Elec. Co 3 f r
L-M3210 Pacific Gas & Elec. Co 3 r c
L-M3211 Pacific Gas & Elec. Co 3 ( r
L-M3212 Pacific Gas & Elec. Co 3 f r
L-M3213 Pacific Gas & Elec. Co 3 <c
TM26-024 Southwestern Tel. Co iy A %
TM26-025 Southwestern Tel. Co iy A %
TM26-026 Southwestern Tel. Co 2#%
TM26-027 Southwestern Tel. Co 1V A %
4 1 50
Calmar Priming Company "'"'Z—g.*-' 500 Sansomc Street, S. F.
Q a tf k
1=^ Syracuse, N. Y. I
• Slockton, Calif. \